loader

FIRE OUTBREAK DESTROYS GOODS WORTH MILLIONS OF NAIRA

(Last Updated On: March 1, 2017)

By Tinuade Salami & Mayowa Tella

 

 

Shop owners at University Road Abule-Oja bus-stop whose stalls were razed down by fire in the

early hours of Monday have started counting their losses barely 24 hours after the incident.

According to Unilag Radio/Tv correspondents who visited the site on Tuesday, shop owners

with truck drivers were seen evacuating the wreckage from the site.

Our reporter gathered that the fire was caused by one of the cables from the pole of Power

Holding Company of Nigeria that fell on the roof of one of the shops which resulted in a spark

that led to the fire outbreak.

Goods worth over 30 Million Naira were reported to have been destroyed by the inferno

Eyewitness, a hair stylist around the place of the incident explained that the fire would have

been put out if the distress call put across to UNILAG fire service had been heeded.

Also affected by the inferno was a school behind the shops.

Meanwhile, neighbors leaving around the supermarket had expressed their shock and sympathy

over the unfortunate incident stating that they would miss the services offered by the shops in

the neighborhood.

One of the stalls, a popular supermarket known as ‘’Lilly Best’’ has been serving both the

neighborhood and UNILAG community for over a decade.