loader

OCTOBER 1 QUIT NOTICE: NO LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL

(Last Updated On: August 9, 2017)

By Gbenga Gbelee
The peace move to address the lingering issues surrounding the quit notice issued Ndigbo members
living in all Northern states by the Arewa youth suffered a setback on Monday as the Committee set
up by both parties to address the pending issue postponed its meeting for another 10 days.
The postponement was hinged on the need for both parties to make more consultations.
The two groups had set up a bi-partisan committee on Friday last week with the mandate to look into the October 1 quit notice to all Igbos living in the 19 Northern states and find a lasting solution to thetension the order has generated across the country.
Fresh issues however cropped up on Monday when the group met and which they felt needed more
time to be looked into and resolved.
A joint statement made available to newsmen by the 10-man committee drawn equally from both
sides said the meeting adjourned to reconvene in the next 10 days, where a final resolution on the
contentious issues will be achieved.
The groups led by Chi Nwogu (Igbo) and Dauda Shamakiri (Arewa youths), said the panel would
resume meeting on the contending issues in 10 days and that all resolutions shall be forwarded to
relevant channels for implementation.
A coalition of northern youths under the aegis of Arewa youth forum had on June 6 ordered that all
Igbos living in the North must vacate the region’s 19 states on or before October 1.
Despite being strongly condemned by leaders across the country including the acting President;
Professor Yemi Osinbajo and Kaduna State Governor; Mallam Nasir El-Rufai as well as calls for the
arrest of leaders of the groups, nobody has been arrested and the order has continued to linger.
Reports have it that the Federal Government’s failure to address the situation has encouraged anti-
Igbo songs allegedly circulating in the North calling for elimination of Ndigbo in the region.