By Gbenga Gbelee
The Federal Government says it will continue with the implementation of the 2016 budget
until when the 2017 budget will be finally passed into law by the National Assembly and
assented to by President Muhammadu Buhari.
This decision came on the heels of the inability of both the senate and the presidency to meet
the time set for the budget defence by various MDAs of government and to enact and sign the
2017 appropriation bill into law.
The director of information, Federal Ministry of Finance, Alhaji Salisu Na’Inna Dambatta
disclosed this on Thursday during which he also cleared that the budget extension will only
cover capital components of the budget.
Alhaji Salisu Na’Inna Dambatta said the Accountant-General of the Federation, Alhaji Idris
Ahmed, had earlier issued a circular extending the tenure of the Capital elements of the 2016
Budget until May 5, 2017 or the passage of the 2017 Budget.
Financial and Economic analysts however warned about the danger such budget extension
might pose to the recurrent component.
They said personnel and overheads for running the federal offices would bein danger on the
grounds of further delays at the National Assembly and the recent executive-legislative
Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki and Speaker House of Representatives,Hon. Yakubu
Dogara, had engaged in a serious deliberations also on Thursday to ensure they finalise issues
on the budget proposal.