By Gbenga Gbelee
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday ordered former President Goodluck Jonathan to appear before it to testify as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olisa Metuh.
A court official confided told newsmen that Chief Metuh’s legal team filed the draft subpoena before Justice Okon Abang shortly after the yesterday’s court proceedings.
The court official said the judge signed the subpoena after retiring to his chambers at the end of Monday’s proceedings.
The source however indicated that Dr. Jonathan’s court appearance tomorrow would depend on whether or not he would be served with the subpoena signed by the judge between Monday and Tuesday (i.e today)
Newsmen also gathered that the residence of the former President in Abuja was indicated on the subpoena as his address.
The defendant, Chief Olisa Metuh, through his lead counsel, Dr. Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN) told the court on Monday that he would seek to bring in the ex-president as a witness in his case.
Most of Chief Metuh’s defence witnesses including Mr. Ben Nwosu who ended his testimony yesterday had insisted that the four hundred million naira (N400m) paid to the defendant from the office of the National Security Adviser in November 2014 was authorised by the former president.
Dr. Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN) told the presiding judge that he had written to Former President Jonathan to formally notify him of his intention to have him testify in court but he is yet to get a response from the ex-president.
Dr. Ikpeazu said he intended to apply for subpoena to be issued on the ex-president after the detained fmr NSA, Coll. Sambo Dasuki(rtd.)who had earlier been summoned, would have ended his testimony.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had in January last year, arraigned Chief Olisa Metuh and his company; Destra Investments Limited on a seven count charge of money laundering involving alleged cash transaction of two million dollars and fraudulent receipt of N400m meant for procurement of arms from the office of the National Security Adviser on November 22, 2014.